12/16/09

Age is good for the ego

I used to have a flat stomach. I didn't even have to try. Now, there's a little roll of flab there, even when I'm in good shape.

I used to have a round bum. When I was younger, I hated it. Now that gravity has taken its toll, I wish I could get the old one back.

I was flat in places I wanted to be round, round in places I wanted to be flat. Now the formerly flat places are round and the formerly round places are flat. Who knew?

When we're young, we're so obsessed with our appearance. Maybe it's biological... we're looking for a mate and the better we look the better chance we have?

As a feminist, I cringe at my own self-critiques. I'm not supposed to care so much about what I look like. And for the most part, I'm happy with what I've got.

Getting older makes me realize that, no matter how hard I work out, I have the body I have. I'm never going to have that 22-year-old body again. Would I want it? No way!

I was skinny then. I have muscles now! I was scrawny then, I'm strong now. And I've gotten comfortable in my skin. I don't like it when my pants get tight, but that's an issue we all have as we age, isn't it? And we all know we can do something about it (and I don't mean plastic surgery or liposuction).

Aging has forced me to pay better attention to my health. I can't eat whatever I want any more without my cholesterol jumping 50 points. I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, so sometimes it doesn't seem fair that I should have the same health problems as someone who downs McDonald's burgers three times a week, but there you go.

Instead of being obsessed with my body, I can enjoy life. I can enjoy my family, my friends, my cats, my hobbies, my business. I can enjoy my workouts because they make me feel good and keep me strong and healthy. And yes, I can even enjoy food, and I do! In moderation, of course.

No comments: